No. 3 Blue Raiders fall just short in C-USA Championship semifinals against No. 1 Old Dominion –

BOCA RATON, Fla. – The No. 3-seeded Blue Raiders (9-8-2) fought for 90 full minutes against the regular season champions and top-seeded Old Dominion Monarchs (12-4-1), but came up just short on Friday, falling 2-1 in the C-USA Championship semifinals to close out the 2021 campaign.


Senior Peyton DePriest led the way for the Blue Raiders, scoring the Middle Tennessee goal and tying for a team-high two shots, including one on goal in the contest. Freshman Kirstine Lykke also tied for a team-high two shots in the contest. Sophomore Eleanor Gough and junior Elizabeth Slavinksy each tallied a shot and shot on goal in the match, while senior Miya Lennon and junior Caroline Manley rounded out the Blue Raider shot takers with one each on the day.


The Blue Raiders didn’t waste any time, striking first in the 5th minute to take the opening lead. Peyton DePriest drove the ball into the box, before colliding with the Monarch’s goalkeeper to draw the foul in the box and earn the penalty kick. DePriest buries the kick past with her left foot past ODU’s keeper into the bottom right to give the Blue Raiders a 1-0 advantage.


5′ | Make that 12 goals on the season for the @ConferenceUSA All-time Leader, @PeyDepriest! Drew the foul and finished it! 💪#BlueRaiders | #MT

— MT Soccer (@MT_Soccer) November 5, 2021

The Monarchs evened the match in the 29th minute. Old Dominion earned a free kick near the right touch line. The Monarch delivered the free kick into the box, which was headed into the goal box and headed once more into the net by ODU’s Ece Turkoglu to bring the match even at one-all. The match remained even at the halftime break.


In the 56th minute, the Monarchs took their first lead of the contest. After earning a corner kick, the Monarchs delivered the short corner kick to the near touch line, which was received by Yuliia Khrystiuk and she kicked it from the top of the 18-yard box and netted it on the far post to put the Blue Raiders down by one, 2-1.


The Blue Raiders continued to battle with the Monarchs over the last 33 minutes of play, but Middle Tennessee just couldn’t get anything to fall before the final buzzer sounded.

We fought for 90 full minutes. Thank you for the support all season long, Blue Raider Nation. This is just the beginning.#BlueRaiders | #MT

— MT Soccer (@MT_Soccer) November 5, 2021


Follow Middle Tennessee Soccer on social media on Facebook (/MTSoccer), Twitter (MT_Soccer) and Instagram (MT_WSoccer).